On Wednesday when in London for my intern interview I took time out to visit this exhibition at the Barbican. Showcasing the beautiful and bizarre world of Japanese fashion with collections from designers such as; Issey Miyake, Rei Kawakubo and Yohji Yamamoto and was curated by Japanese Akiko Fukai, Director of the Kyoto Costume Institute. Most inspiring exhibition I have been to all year.
A very basic black and white design using both the image and the numbers as buttons to link to the next page/image. I am pleased with this because I like the way it looks if i had more time I would have done watermarks and changed the opacity of the numbers font so it is less harsh and distracts less from the images.
I have had a lot of trouble creating this website, I initially wanted to create a frameset which I did most of in class but would not work when I came to do it in my own time, this was very frustrating. I did not know why it was not working I changed all my images and resaved them into my root folder but it did not work. For my nvatigation I created some font in photoshop and made it into a jpeg so I could insert it into my web page and use the different numbers and buttons. The links would not work properly because when the button was selected a new internet window opened up with the image in and no navigation bar at the top.
This is what my navigation looked like, I am very disappointed I could not do a frameset I really needed some extra help with the dreamweaver softwear.
As the text buttons is actually an image I could not individually select the different numbers, so I re did the navigation in photoshop by separately cropping and saving the individual numbers and then inserting them into the web page. This did not look as good as it was harder at align all of them up the same, even when I was using grids.
An example of this is
and when they were all together they looked like this (not good at all)
As you can see in this web page the image to the side of the navigation is not being found in the root folder, this image is my logo. Another problem I have to solve.
It is going to be easier to fix on that I am not doing a frameset I have just got a simple gallery while the image and/or text is selected and it is linked to the next page which appears in the same window. I do not have much time to complete this seeing as I really wanted to do a frameset.
After I spent hours on trying to do a design that I thought was textured, I found it really hard because I do not like this style so whatever I produced I did not like so I changed my texture design because it looked tacky and was not user friendly, I simplified it but still tried to incorporate the use of textures. I am pleased with this design, it may not have as many obvious textured website traits but I think as a web page it works better.
I also changed my vector design because it was too boring. I used one of my photographs as a background which works well the navigation layout and minimal monochrome appearance. Again using Gills sans font and I changed the spacing on photoshop so it is easier to read and fills the header space, I also slanted the header ‘Phoebe Lettice’ to follow the horizontal line in the image tying the whole page together better. I did not use black font because I think this is too harsh and by using a grey colour it is softer and again ties in better with the image making the web page more aesthetically pleasing to look at.
First go with designing a Web 2.0 design website. I prefer this to vector an texture web design because I think it goes better with my work I also found this the easiest to create because I knew what I wanted. I was inspired by the minimal look on websites I like such as; http://www.kennethcappello.com/ the use of black and white sans serif font and small amounts of strong colour give the website and overall professional and chic impression, and these are qualities I would like to focus on when creating my brand. The big areas of white negative space make navigation easy to find and use with no unnecessary distractions from the work.
I used Gill Sans and added a stroke to it in photoshop to make it a little bolder. The logo and navigation bar would stay there and the main frame where the two photographs are would change when different categories are selected. Over time as I did more work I think I would add sub categories to specify my work more.